Tuesday 29 September 2015

Fitness. There is no wagon.

I can't even begin to count the times I have 'fallen off the wagon' when it comes to working out consistently.  I used to beat myself up when I took a workout hiatus and it wasn't helpful.  Perhaps I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be... but I keep showing up.  I keep trying.  I keep beginning again and again, and that's something to celebrate.  I never give up... and I never quit!

Today I'm proud to say that I worked out for the first time this month.  I just did a few quick tabatas in the board room of my office... but I got the blood pumping and worked the muscle groups and it feels great.

I've read a great deal recently about motivation.  I don't think motivation is my problem. My focus right now is building a fitness habit.  My problem is not scheduling my workouts like I schedule everything else in my life.  My problem is not putting myself first and dropping workouts to meet the family obligations that come up constantly.

For the longest time, I've been thinking that in order to be more consistent with working out, I'm going to have to get up earlier.  But I adore that last hour of sleep I get between 6 and 7 in the morning, and I'm not sure I'm willing to give it up just yet.  For now, I'm going to take a little time from my workday and just do something each day.

Great article from Girls Gone Strong about 'Comply or Die' mentality and how it doesn't work for fat loss.  Zen Habits has written some great articles on building the fitness habit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment