Thursday 16 April 2015

Oil Pulling... not as gross as it sounds!

this is the brand I like
I'll admit that it sounds a bit 'hippie/granola/crunchy' but for about 6 months, I have been oil pulling.  I first heard about it from Design Mom, and subsequently lost hours of my day researching oil pulling on the intrawebs.

I have always had very sensitive teeth.  They are sensitive to cold and heat, and sometimes even sugary things produce discomfort.  I was fairly skeptical at first, but oil pulling has worked really well for me.  My teeth are really white, and they have that smooth, 'fresh from the dentist' feeling all the time now.  Some people completely give up tooth brushing once they start oil pulling, but I am using it as a supplement to my regular brushing and flossing routine.

My dentist doesn't know what to think about oil pulling; but my last checkup showed a big improvement in gum health.  I had some deep pockets in my gums that decreased significantly after a few months of oil pulling. 


I also believe that oil pulling has strengthened my immune system.  I can't be entirely certain about the cause and effect, but I  I have been sick (viruses, colds, etc.) far less often since I have been oil pulling.
What is Oil Pulling?
from Food Matters:
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for oral health, and detoxification.  It involves the use of pure oils as agents for pulling harmful bacteria and other organisms out of the mouth, teeth, gums and throat.

How to Oil Pull with coconut oil.
1)  Take approximately 2 tsp. of coconut oil and put it in your mouth.
2)  Chew and melt the oil in your mouth.  It will become liquid.
3)  Swish the oil, pushing and pulling back, forth and sideways through all your teeth.
4)  After 20 minutes of swishing, spit the oil into the trash (it can clog plumbing)


For more information, here's a dentist's 'take' on why oil pulling may be a great compliment to regular dental care.

No comments:

Post a Comment