Wednesday 30 April 2014

Clutterfree with Kids - A Review


We have our house listed for sale.  In the process of getting ready to list, we literally removed half our possessions from our home and they are currently residing in a storage container.  Half of our stuff is gone... and I LOVE IT! 

We have a fairly tiny house (under 2000 sq. ft) for a family of eight.  I don't think we have as much stuff as most smaller families do but we have definitely accumulated too much.  Putting our belongings in storage has given me an appreciation of how a less cluttered space makes me feel.... like I have more breathing room.  It's easier to take care of things... and I can whip through this house and get it clean in far less time.

The sad truth is that as soon as our house sells... everything in that storage container is coming back into our space.

I have spent a great deal of my life trying to organize possessions. I have likely read hundreds of blogs and books on organization. The one idea that I will take away from reading Clutterfree With Kids... is that organizing is not enough; decluttering is not enough.  I need to take a long, hard look and DE-OWN.

I need to get rid of what I don't need, don't love, don't want.... and I need to be very purposeful with everything I allow into our home.... easier said than done when it comes to kids.  With 6 children, I highly doubt that I will ever really experience what it feels like to be truly clutterfree.  But I did enjoy the book; it's a much needed mind-shift for me.  We'll see how things go in the new space.

No comments:

Post a Comment